Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Featured Artist: Anvil Art Shop

Custom design website: www.abbeyhilldesign.com
Blog: www.anvilartshop.blogspot.com
Etsy: www.anvilartshop.etsy.com
B&M gallery: www.anvilartshop.com (coming in June!)

How long have you been in business?
Since 1992.

What inspired you to start your business?
I originally planned to study costume design, but FIT didn't have any courses in that field so I switched majors to eveningwear/apparel. I've been designing gowns and couture suits for diplomats and CEOs ever since, then added custom leather jackets and handbags about three years ago.
How do you get the word out about your shop?
I work best with referrals from existing clients. Having couture clothing designed for you is a very personal -- and often lengthy -- process that doesn't suit everyone's lifestyle. In my online Etsy shop, I do a lot of Alchemy (custom) requests for leather handbags. Since my specialty has always been custom work, this has been a good fit for my work so far. I also started a blog this year, but I see it more as a fun way to share a "behind the scenes" viewpoint with clients and friends, than as advertising.

What’s unique about your items or what do you want people to know about your work?
My gowns have been worn to the White House and Buckingham Palace, but I'm just as happy when a disabled client tells me that my designs make her feel beautiful again. :)

What would you like us to know about your business?
I design with leather, silks and delicate beadwork but I'm usually found working in jeans, handknit sweaters, and boots.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
Free time to spend with my husband. He makes me laugh, makes sure I remember to eat, and puts up with my artistic temperament.

What do you most value in your friends?
I value them more than they probably realize, for still being there after all these years. I'm terrible at keeping in touch.

What is your principal defect?
I get too absorbed in my work -- the highs and lows of working out a new design become reflected in my own moods, and that's never good.

In what country would you like to live?
I love being a Canadian, living in Canada. Every time I travel, I like coming home the best.

What is your present state of mind?
Wishing I had more hours in the day!

3 comments:

Sewlutions' World said...

I loved this this interview especially knowing that the high society designer works in downtown clothing - sweeeet!

Urban Heirlooms said...

Great interview! I've always admired your work since I saw you on Etsy. Your skill blows me away, and your craftsmanship is always exquisite! Best wishes for your new shop.

Blue Flame Leather said...

It was fun to read about you; your work is amazing and I admire you a great deal. It is fun to think of the fabulous designer in her blue jeans and sweater - that's my preference as well!